Tuesday, September 4, 2012

CASology #9


Welcome to Week 9 of CASology!  Here's the cue card for this week:


I have a rather embarrassingly large collection of Distress inks that do little more than sit in a drawer and collect dust.  I usually associate them with elaborate and busy cards but they can be used for simpler projects too.  For this card I stamped and embossed the bird image and then masked off and inked a small strip.  I really like the way it came out and how it makes the silhouette pop.  It took me ages to decide where to put the sentiment and then it seemed to be totally disconnected from the image so I added the matching gems and it was just the right touch to tie the image and sentiment together. 

Be sure to check out the rest of the design team for some fabulous inspiration!



Also this week's guest designer:

Link up your creations to the CASology blog and remember that submissions are due by Sunday, 9 September at noon CST.

Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Bazzill

Stamps:  (Family Is Forever) Unity Stamp Co
Ink: (VersaMark, VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko, (Spiced Marmalade, Mustard See) Ranger
Embossing Powder:  (Clear) Ranger
Gems:  (Tangerine assortment) Doodlebug

23 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

The background on this card is stunning Jen, I love the silhouette!

Lynn said...

Oh Jen...this is absolutely stunning. I love the silhouette and gorgeous inking.

Anonymous said...

The colours are gorgeous, and you're right, the gems bring it all together perfectly.

Suze Bain said...

I love this card! Great colour and I like how you've done a family of birds, the bling is perfect too! xx

JJ Bolton said...

Just beautiful Jen! I've been on a ink blending trip myself lately. Maybe it's Fall coming that makes me want to blend colors, lol!

In any case, this card is just stunning! And you are right on with the gems:)

Have a super week!

Lindsey said...

The masked and inked panel is perfect for that silhouette, and the gems really do tie the sentiment in nicely. Love it!

Melissa said...

And to think I have been considering purchasing more distress inks...LOL! I keep telling myself that is exactly what would happen...they'd just collect dust after a while! :)

LOVE this, Jen! That one strip of vibrant color really packs a punch and the gemstones are absolutely perfect!

Ardyth said...

I love the sponged strip - great texture on a flat surface! And I always think that a black silhouette looks so dramatic against a strip like that!

Jay Gee said...

Wow! You need to use your distress inks more often if this is the result. Just gorgeous Jen :)

Joyce said...

Love this card with all the beautiful ink blending. I've been experimenting, too, with my Distress inks, and it's been fun.

Karen B. said...

You are a master with these inks, I vote for you to bring them out more!

Darnell said...

I agree it's the perfect touch of bling around the sentiment to tie it together. I, too, bought a bunch of distress inks and don't use them, so I appreciate this card for the inspiration it gives me!! Thank you, Jen!

Rosemary said...

gorgeous card... the inking is so warm and rich!!

Kirsty, New Zealand said...

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING ... the distress inks look amazing next to all the crisp white space, skype this week?

~amy~ said...

this is lovely....the image just pops...hey my distress inks do the same, collect dust:) Do you just smash them onto the cardstock? I really need to undust them:)

Benzi said...

Your inked strip really makes the bird family pop right out there! It's gorgeous and the gems were placed perfectly.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Love those birds of a feather! They sit so beautifully on that gorgeous stip. Wonderful composition Jen. So nice to see you on my blog today - thanks for the cisit!

lostinpaper said...

This card just blew me away when I saw it over at Casology. It's absolutely fantastic Jen!

Susie said...

A lot of versatility with this card design. And, as others have already said, "perfect placement of those gems!" Wonderful card!

Carol L said...

Your card is just fabulous! I love the background as well as those birds huddling together on the branch! NJ!

Lisa Arana said...

wow, so stunning. beautiful background with those lovely stamps. wonderfully done.

Jean said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how you used your distress inks ~ this is just beautiful!

Judy1223 said...

Jen, what a wonderfully distressed backgound and pretty silhouette bird family! I love this clean and simple one-layer card! Perfect!