Thursday, September 20, 2012

Today Is Your Day



When I first saw the latest Tuesday Trigger at the Moxie Fab World I immediately thought, "I don't have those colours!  I don't have any shoe stamps!  I can't do this!" and I prepared to run for the hills.  But then I stopped because I had promised myself that I would play along (more on that later).  So I looked at the picture again and started digging around in the Craft Cave.  I found some similar colours but didn't have much luck in the shoe department.  However, the shoes made me think of fashion which led me to the funky outfit on the dress form and the card grew from there.

I promise myself every week that I'm going to play along with the Tuesday Trigger challenge but most of the time I don't.  I tend to choke on it.  I'm not sure why.  I play in plenty of other challenges and none seems to freeze me up the way this one does.  I remember when I first started blogging and getting more into card making I was completely intimidated by the projects that appeared on the Moxie Fab blog.  They were all so amazing!  I couldn't imagine my work ever being that good or worthy enough for showcase on the blog.  My cards have come a long way since then and I have actually been named a Trigger Target a couple of times but I guess that initial impression of high caliber projects has stuck with me so I still struggle with the Triggers.  I'm trying to just chill out though and to play along and let myself see where the inspiration takes me.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't want my cards to be recognised and to get pats on the back for them (and maybe a prize here or there) but I'm trying to relax and remember that, initially, I started making cards because it was fun.  I was blissfully ignorant of blogs and publications and design teams - it was just about pulling that idea out of my brain and translating it onto paper.  I'm trying to focus on that enjoyment and hoping that it will help to thaw those freezes and get me back to card making for the fun of it.    


Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (Basic Grey) Stampin' Up, (Chartreuse) Bazzill, (Turquoise) Pacon

Stamps:  (Dress form from May '12 KOM - Love in an Instant, Sentiment from Mar '12 KOM - From Head to Soul) Unity, (Flourish background) Hero Arts
Inks: (VersaMark, VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko
Dies:  (Nestabilities Labels 10) Spellbinders
Gems:  (Swimming Pool assortment) Doodlebug

16 comments:

Lynn said...

Jen, your card is gorgeous. I love the beautiful flourish background. So beautiful!

And...I feel like you speak to my heart with your post today. I have to remind myself that I create for my relaxation, but like you I do like the recognition as well. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I'm right there with you.

~amy~ said...

Such a lovely card and elegant post! You rock my friend.

Maureen Morton said...

Such a great take on the Trigger, Jen. Love the layout. And, such a great sharing of your thoughts. You hit it on the mark for many of us. I have no interest in a design team or publication, but I honor those who do. I just want to create with some challenges and no stress! You continue to amaze!

Tracey McNeely said...

Jen I am glad you dug around because you created a fantastic card! I also agree about all the thing you talk about. Being intimidated, struggling with some challenges, that I do this for relaxation and putting undo stress on ourselves. Good for you setting a goal, you are way ahead of me!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

You sound like literal me, this is fabulous! And yeah for winning the reader's choice over at Paper Crafts.

Lindsey said...

So true -- it's easy to get caught up in all the (self-imposed) pressure and forget to just have fun being creative. This card totally worked for the inspiration!
Congrats on your readers' choice card making it, too. :)

Glenda J said...

Gorgeous card... and today is definitely your day. Congrats on the reader's choice vote!

lostinpaper said...

You have have really ROCKed this one Jen! I agree ignorance is sometimes bliss and it's so nice just to make cards for the sake of the enjoyment. Nowadays I focus on trying to improve on my own style and am inspired by all this amazing talent (including you) in blogland (hoping maybe some will rub off on me).

Virginia L. said...

Your post and card are LOVELY, Jen!! I am sure many many card makers echo the same thoughts as you! I , too, was VERY intimidated to enter anything Moxie Fab challenges. I know some of my early (and perhaps still now!?) work were horrible....but that's not the point, we are all here to learn, to have fun and to better ourselves in our own ways. So just liberate yourself and enjoy! I love your take on the TT as it is so original and so creative! Way to go, Jen!

Joyce said...

Well, I love your philosophy, and you are a wonderful card maker. You did a great job on this challenge, too. I find that sometimes when I don't have the easy answer for the challenge, it forces me to be more creative, and that can be a good thing. I have to say, that I also have been intimidated by the Papercrafts challenges, and only recently entered anything.

Helen F. said...

Hey Jen, I simply love your post here and totally agree with all that you have to say, Girlfriend :o) I love to make cards for these challenges,(maybe) with a secret hope that one day my card will be good enough to win :), but mostly the challenges are a point of inspiration and learning from all of the real 'talent' out there~YOU certainly among the top of that list!
BTW, I came by to congratulate you on your soon-to-be-published card at Paper Crafts, and also to comment on this fabulous TT card...You really knocked it out of the Creative park again, Jen! XOXO

Kirsty, New Zealand said...

so PLEASED you DID play along, this is a stunner and the colours look awesome with stamp you did you use :)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Jen! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Jocelyn Olson said...

I totally hear you on the TT--great post. I give you a lot of credit for putting yourself out there and entering so many challenges (TT, MFW, and others) and submitting for publication. It can be intimidating and frustrating, but I love that you've gotten so many shout-outs/pats on the back/accolades. Your work is fabulous! :)

Jocelyn Olson said...

I totally hear you on the TT--great post. I give you a lot of credit for putting yourself out there and entering so many challenges (TT, MFW, and others) and submitting for publication. It can be intimidating and frustrating, but I love that you've gotten so many shout-outs/pats on the back/accolades. Your work is fabulous! :)

Jessi Fogan said...

Do I love your card? Of course :) But I especially love that you shared how you still struggle with being intimidated crafty-wise. This is not to say that I'm glad you ARE intimidated, but it's good to know that even someone who ROCKS as hard as you do still doubts, you know? And, since right now I'm drowning in 'gotta-makes' remembering that 'wanna-makes' are way more satisfying & come out much better!